So what’s the protocol for wedding guests these days?
According to Cosmopolitan magazine, it’s simple all you wedding guests to-be – just don’t be a dick!
“Your best friend’s 30th, your sister’s graduation, your own birthday party… totally fine to be a dick. But the one place you absolutely, definitely, categorically can NOT be even the tiniest little piece of a dick is a wedding. Any wedding. Even your ex’s,” says the magazine in a recent online article.
The article goes on to list nine ways in which wedding guests could commit the ultimate faux pas of “being a dick” on a couple’s wedding day, including:
- Wearing white – we all know that’s for the bride (and occasionally the bridesmaids) only.
- Airing your personal opinions on the pitfalls of marriage, including any anti same-sex marriage thoughts you may have. Not cool.
- Getting falling-down drunk. Not only could you commit even more social blunders by being sozzled, it’s also in poor taste to empty the bar.
- Bringing along an uninvited “plus one”. Couples carefully plan and budget for a certain number of guests so don’t show up with a tagalong.
- Attending with an ex of the bride or groom – who wants to revisit history on their wedding day?
- Being overly snap happy with your iPhone and getting in the way of the photographer – move out the road so the professional can do their job!
- Submitting over the top dietary requests – no one cares about your latest foodie fad – don’t overcomplicate the catering for the couple.
- Refusing to get into the spirit of the occasion by having a whirl around the dance floor.
- …and if you do hit the dance floor, inappropriately pashing someone or even starting a fight. Keep it tidy people!
So brides- and grooms-to-be… feel free to send this article onto your would-be wedding guests to ensure they toe the line on your wedding day!