If the idea of planning your wedding has you feeling overwhelmed, sit down, take a deep breath and look over Bride Tasmania’s 12-month planning guide.
You’ll see that planning a wedding is simply a matter of getting organised.
11-12 months before the wedding
- Officially announce your engagement.
- Decide style of ceremony and reception (size, setting, formality, theme, etc)
- Contact a wedding celebrant or minister.
- Develop a budget and decide who will pay for what.
- Begin compiling your guest list.
- Visit and reserve your ceremony/reception venue.
9-10 months before the wedding
- Order your wedding gown.
- Choose your wedding party.
- Interview local videographers, photographers, florists, DJs/musicians, caterers and cake makers.
- Scout out accommodations for out-of-town guests if applicable.
- Order wedding cake.
7-8 months before the wedding
- Start shopping for wedding rings.
- Decide on honeymoon plans and take care of any special travel requirements such as passports or visas.
- Decide on and shop for bridesmaids’/flower girl dresses.
- Order invitations and other stationery needs.
- Register for wedding gifts.
5-6 months before the wedding
- Let your out-of-town guests know the date of your wedding so that they reserve the date and make any necessary travel plans.
- Complete guest list.
- Shop for and taste test the wedding cake.
- Select groomsmen attire.
3-4 months before the wedding
- Finalise the menu with your caterer.
- Order wine, champagne, liquor, etc., if not included in the caterers’ service.
- Finalise flowers.
- Order wedding bomboniere.
- Order wedding rings to allow time for engraving.
- Begin working on vows, especially if you are writing your own.
- Complete a Notice of Intended Marriage form to give to your celebrant.
2 months before wedding
- Finalise and book honeymoon.
- Mail out invitations.
- Have a hair/make-up trial.
- Book wedding day beauty appointments.
- Complete name change paperwork for bank accounts, insurance, etc.
- Finalise music play list.
- Finalise order of service and write the wedding program.
- Touch base with wedding providers (florist, etc) to confirm date and times, etc.
1 month before
- Order any rental items needed such as chairs, tents, lighting, if not included at ceremony/reception sites.
- Purchase bridesmaid and groomsmen gifts.
- Schedule final fitting for wedding gown.
1 week before
- Pack for honeymoon.
- Host attendant’s party and give out gifts along with a thoughtful thank you note to each bridesmaid.
- Make final payments to vendors.